Elspeth

elspeth's ephemeral musings

Fire bad, tree pretty!
Wild Song - Jane Eagland Disclaimer: This review will contain spoilers.You can also read mine, and MLE's reviews on our blog.I got this book off of NetGalley for an honest review.First off I wanted everyone to read the synopsis of this book from NetGalley. Living in a creaking castle on a remote, windswept island off Scotland, Anna has never known anyone other than her father, his assistant and their two servants. She is kept away from books, pictures and other children by her father, a mathematical genius, who is slowly losing his mind. Then one wild stormy day a boy washes up on the shore, a boy who will change her whole world and make her question everything she has ever believed in. With her eyes opened to life outside of the island Anna soon realises that someone close to her is determined to destroy what is left of her father’s fragile sanity. Determined to protect him Anna faces her fears and, with the help of her new-found friend, breaks free from her isolation.Okay now that we have gotten that out of the way, I want everyone to imaging where this book is going, and what do you think the ending will be? Because what I thought, and what I got were two very different things.I want to point out a very misleading sentence.Determined to protect him Anna faces her fears and, with the help of her new-found friend, breaks free from her isolation.This had me picturing her breaking free of her father’s tyranny, leaving the island, and exploring the world. Man, was I wrong.It is nothing like that, this book felt like I only got the free teaser chapters of a much longer book. Which was really not that much of a big deal for me, because the book really wasn’t my cup of tea, but for those people that will enjoy this book it will be quite the let down.The main character has lived on an isolated island her whole life, sheltered only learning what her seriously unstable father wants her to learn. Only the books left to her by somebody on the island, three guess on who that is, no really there is only three people that it could be, let her have some escape from said sheltered life. So enter the new-found friend, a boy her age washes up on the shore of the island to the warm welcome of the fathers assistant Max trying to push him back in.Same as before you get three guesses on who the bad guy in this story is, I’ll leave you to your speculations.So Anna stops Max from pushing Rob back into the ocean, only to be forbade to see him while he heals. Yeah, forbidden to see him, we all know how well forbidding a teenage girl to do something works out, yup, you guessed it, she keeps sneaking in to see him. So in talking to Rob she finds out that Max is trying to betray her father for money, and after she gets over calling Rob liar, because even though Anna saw Max trying to shove Rob back into the ocean he would never ever do such a thing. Anna decided to go to Max’s room to see if she can find any incriminating evidence, only to get caught red handed.Yes, Anna is too stupid to live, because alone in a room with a guy willing to commit murder she doesn’t make an excuse, she confronts him. After a letdown climax to the book Anna runs to tell her father everything, but when he doesn’t recognize her she decided to take matters in her own hands, and save her father herself.This is where the book ends ladies and gentlemen, with Anna rowing to the main land, yeah not so much of a full novel, not one you’re going to pay seven bucks for anyway.So, big surprise here, this book wasn’t for me.